"What Can I Do With a Major in...Crisis and Disaster Management?"
Why Major in Crisis and Disaster Management?
The graduate with a Bachelor of Science degree in Crisis and Disaster Management will use the knowledge and skills obtained in the programs to:
- Demonstrate a knowledge and application of the four phases of emergency management; preparedness, mitigation, response and recovery.
- Evaluate the roles, responsibilities and relationships between the private sector, public sector and non-governmental organizations in the response and recovery phases of an event.
- Select methods to identify and evaluate risk exposure from internal and external hazards and to implement cost effective programs to maintain continuity of operations.
- Employ effective communication skills, knowledge of program management, organizational skills and critical thinking.
- Select technology to organize information, to communicate and to manage all phases of emergency management.
- Recognize societal concerns, legal, professional and ethical responsibilities in the field.
- Value the importance of continuous professional development in the discipline.
Related Career Titles
|Administrative Aide||Hurricane Planner|
|Administrative Specialist||Insurance Claims Adjuster|
|Administrative Support||Intelligence Operations Specialist|
|All Hazards Planner||Investigator|
|Anti-Terrorism Coordinator||Management & Program Analyst|
|Anti-Terrorism Program Analyst||Management Programs Specialist|
|Anti-Terrorism Program Manager||Mitigation Planner|
|Asst. Director for Plans||Network Manager|
|Business Continuity Planner||Operations Manager|
|Data Services Coordinator||Operations Officer|
|Deputy Director||Operations Planner|
|Emergency Management Director||Public Information Officer|
|EMAC Planner||Public Safety Officer|
|Emergency Medical Technician||Radio Technician|
|Environmental Planner||Risk Manager|
|Environmental, Health and Safety Manager||Hazard Mitigation Officer|
|Exercise Officer||Training Officer|
|Fire Chief||Technical Hazards Specialist|
|Fire Prevention Officer||Training Coordinator|
|Hazardous Materials Manager||Transportation Security Screener|
Related Job Listings/Job Search Website
Center for Preparedness and Training
Emergency Management Institute
Federal Emergency Management Agency
International Emergency Management Student Association
The Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Response Association
Society of Fire Protection Engineers
Four-Year Academic Plan
Crisis and Disaster Management, B.S. Degree
Crisis and Disaster Management Major (Area 1: Business Continuity), B.S. Degree
Crisis and Disaster Management Major (Area 2: Emergency Management), B.S. Degree
Crisis and Disaster Management Major (Area 3: Emergency Services Mgmt.), B.S. Degree
Crisis and Disaster Management Major (Area 4: Environmental Hazards), B.S. Degree
The career paths listed are those which are commonly associated with this area of study and in no way does this site attempt to suggest that these are all of the career paths possible. Some of the career paths listed may require additional education, training, development, licenses and/or certifications. Listings of resources such as job listings, web links, professional organizations, library publications, and other information found on this page are believed to be accurate and true at the time published. The "What Can I Do With A Major In..." database is reviewed and updated every year in July. While no list is truly exhaustive, if you feel something should be added, deleted, changed or updated on this page, please contact the Career Services Center by e-mail at email@example.com and an out-of-cycle change will be completed.
Who Can Help Me?
Career Development Coordinator