"What Can I Do With a Major in...Education?"
Why Major in Education?
All Teacher Education students seeking inital certification will be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills obtained in the program to meet the Missouri Teacher Standards listed below:
- Content knowledge and perspectives aligned with appropriate instruction. The teacher understands the central concepts, structures, and tools of inquiry of the discipline(s) and creates learning experiences that make these aspects of subject matter mearningful and engaging for all students.
- Understanding and encouraging student learning, growth, and development. The teacher understands how students learn, develop, and differ in their approaches to learning. The teacher provides learning opportunities that are adapted to diverse learners and support the intellectual, social, and personal development of all students.
- Implementing the curriculum. The teacher recognizes the importance of long-range planning and curriculum development. The teacher develops, implements, and evaluates curriculum based upon standards and student needs.
- Teaching for critical thinking. The teacher uses a variety of instructional strategies to encourage students' critical thinking, problem solving, and performance skills including instructional resources.
- Creating a postive classroom learning environment. The teacher uses an understanding of individual and group motivation and behavior to create a learning environment that encourages active engagement in learning, postive social interaction, and self-motivation.
- Utilizing effective communication. The teacher models effective verbal, nonverbal, and media communication techniques with students and parents to foster active inquiry, collaboration, and supportive interaction in the classroom.
- Use of student assessment data to analyze and modify instruction. The teacher understands and uses formative and summative assessment strategies to assess the learner's progress, uses assessment data to plan ongoing instruction, monitors the performance of each student, and devises instruction to enable student to grow and develop.
- Professional practice. The teacher is a reflective practitioner who continually assesses the effects of choices and actions on others. The teacher actively seeks out opportunities to grow professionally in order to improve learning for all students.
- Professional collaboration. The teacher has effective working relationships with students, parents, school colleagues, and community members.
Related Career Titles
Early Childhood Education
Middle School-Junior High School
|Business Teacher Education||Social Science|
|Mathematics||Speech Communication & Theatre|
|Science||Engineering & Technology|
|Business Teacher Education||Physics|
|Family and Consumer Sciences||Speech Communication and Theatre|
|French||Engineering and Technology Teacher Education|
Related Job Listings/Job Search Website
MOREAP: Regional Education Applicant & Placement Program
Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
Teachers Employment Network
Teaching Jobs K12 Job Spot
Teaching Jobs Overseas
American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (UCM)
Association for Childhood Education International (UCM)
Association for the Education of Young Children
Central Missouri Math Educators (UCM)
Jazz Education Network (UCM)
Kappa Delta Pi (UCM)
Leading Educator Advocates for Diversity (UCM)
Missouri National Education Association
Missouri State Teachers Association
Music Teacher National Association (UCM)
National Association for Music Education (UCM)
National Science Teachers Association (UCM)
Speech and Theatre Teachers of UCM
Student Council for Exceptional Children (UCM)
Student Missouri National Education Association (UCM)
Student Missouri State Teachers Association (UCM)
Student Reading Council (UCM)
Teachers of English to Students of Other Languages (UCM)
Technology Education Collegiate Association (UCM)
Four-Year Academic Plans
Art Major, B.S. in Ed. Degree
Biology Major (Area 1: Standard Biology Certificate), B.S. in Ed. Degree
Biology Major (Area 2: Biology-Unified Science Certificate), B.S. in Ed. Degree
Career and Tech. Teacher Education Major, B.S. in Ed. Degree (Area 1: Business Teacher Education)
Career&Tech. Teacher Edu. Major, B.S. in Ed. Degree (Area 2: Family Consumer Sciences Tchr. Edu.)
Career&Technology Teacher Education Major, B.S. in Ed. Degree (Area 3: Engineering & Technology Teacher Education)
Chemistry Major (Area 1: Standard Chemistry Certificate), B.S. in Ed. Degree
Chemistry Major (Area 2: Chemistry-Unified Science Certificate), B.S. in Ed. Degree
Earth Science Major (Area 1: Standard Earth Science Certificate), B.S. in Ed. Degree
Earth Science Major (Area 2: Earth Science - Unified Science Certificate), B.S. in Ed. Degree
Elementary Education Major (Option 1: Birth - Grade 3; Clinical Pathway), B.S. in Ed. Degree
Elementary Education Major (Option 1: Birth - Grade 3; Blended Pathway), B.S. in Ed. Degree
Elementary Education Major (Option 2: Grades 1 - 6; Clinical Pathway), B.S. in Ed. Degree
Elementary Education Major (Option 2: Grades 1 - 6; Blended Pathway), B.S. in Ed. Degree
English Major, B.S. in Ed. Degree
Mathematics Major, B.S. in Ed. Degree
Middle School Education Major - Business Education Subject Area, B.S. in Ed. Degree
Middle School Education Major - Engineering & Technology Subject Area, B.S. in Ed. Degree
Middle School Education Major - General Science Subject Area, B.S. in Ed. Degree
Middle School Education Major - Language Arts Subject Area, B.S. in Ed. Degree
Middle School Education Major - Math Subject Area, B.S. in Ed. Degree
Middle School Education Major - Social Science Subject Area, B.S. in Ed. Degree
Middle School Education Major - Speech/Theatre Subject Area, B.S. in Ed. Degree
Physics Major, B.S. in Ed. Degree
Social Studies Major, B.S. in Ed. Degree
Special Education Major (Area 1: Cross-Categorical Disabilities), B.S. in Ed. Degree
Special Education Major (Area 2: Autism and Severe Disabilities), B.S. in Ed. Degree
Special Education Major (Area 3: Early Childhood Special Education), B.S. in Ed. Degree
Speech Communication and Theatre Major, B.S. in Ed. Degree
The career paths listed are those which are commonly associated with this area of study and in no way does this site attempt to suggest that these are all of the career paths possible. Some of the career paths listed may require additional education, training, development, licenses and/or certifications. Listings of resources such as job listings, web links, professional organizations, library publications, and other information found on this page are believed to be accurate and true at the time published. The "What Can I Do With A Major In..." database is reviewed and updated every year in July. While no list is truly exhaustive, if you feel something should be added, deleted, changed or updated on this page, please contact the Career Services Center by e-mail at email@example.com and an out-of-cycle change will be completed.
Who Can Help Me?
Career Development Coordinator