UCM-ASQ Student Chapter
7th Annual UCM Quality Management Conference 2015: Newsletter
The ASQ-UCM organized the 7th annual UCM Quality Management Conference on Thursday, September 10, 2015 in the Elliot Student Union, Room 240. The conference theme this year was “Continuous Improvement with Technology and Quality System”. The conference was sponsored by the ASQ Section 1301 Kansas City.
A total of Thirty four industry professionals and 134 UCM students, faculty and staff participated in the conference. The conference events included:
- Opening remarks/welcome from School of Technology Chair, and ASQ 1301 Chair
- ASQ – UCM student chapter, student officers’ introduction and update
- Two Keynote Speakers: Mr. Kevin Bennett and Ms. Jeanette Bray
- Campus Tours: Automation and Automotive laboratories
- Two Student research presentation: Swetha Kotla and Robert Barr
- Game: Lean Six Sigma and Quality Tools Trivia
- Student Showcases and Research Poster Presentation
- Door Prizes, awards recognition, survey evaluation, and group photo
To view 2015 program agenda, click here.
In all, the conference was a great success. We had a splendid day of discussion, learning, and meeting new people. This conference gave students the opportunity to interact with professionals currently working in the quality field, as well as a valuable opportunity to learn about their experience in the workplace. We sincerely appreciated all of those who donated time, door-prizes, and other gifts to the conference. Thank you all again for making the 2015 UCM Quality Management Conference successful and we hope to continue developing positive relationships in the future.
To read 2015 conference newsletter, click here.
More pictures from the conference are located in the 2015 photo gallery
The ASQ-UCM student chapter has been established by the Master of Science degree programs in the School of Technology at the University of Central Missouri. This organization was formally approved by the American Society for Quality (ASQ) headquarters on April 28, 2009. The Master of Science degree in Industrial Management and Technology programs promote activities for the development of professional skills in students. It also encourages students to practice skills in leadership, management, teamwork, and quality.
Our mission is to bring awareness to students about the importance of quality in today’s industry and business, as well as help them gain knowledge by interacting with quality professionals working in diverse organizations.
Student Chapter Purpose
- Provide student members with the latest information regarding quality
- Provide student members with an awareness of quality related issues in the industrial and academic worlds
- Expose students to the real world practices of quality by providing them an opportunity to network with professionals in the quality management field
- Provide students an opportunity to develop and display leadership abilities and techniques
- Instill a desire for continued professional/technical society affiliation
- Reflect a favorable and responsible image of this school in industry
Dr. Suhansa Rodchua, Assistant Professor in Industrial Management, serves as the student chapter's advisor. Joleen Byerline, Ph.D. Fellow in Graduate Programs, serves as the student chapter's co-advisor.
Ongoing Student Chapter Activities
- Organize and hold the Quality Management conference at UCM with guest speakers from business and industry
- Attend the study tour and workshop/meeting from the ASQ Section 1301
- Attend the ASQ World Conference
- Research and publish technical reports in the areas of quality, technology management, industrial engineering, and others
- Volunteer to help and support local communities
- Provide a book donation project - The major purpose of this project is to build a small size library on quality books/media to be donated to developing countries
- Mentoring Warrensburg High School FIRST Robotics Team for 2013 Competition in Kansas City
ASQ Student Membership at UCM
As a student, annual membership fee is $28 USD (paid to ASQ headquarters). If not a student, the fee will be between $74-$129.
The benefits of student membership include:
- Quality Progress magazine - online
- One Section membership
- ASQ Weekly e-newsletter
- ASQ Quality News Today - daily newsfeed
- Member rates on books, standards, certifications, and journals
This ASQ-UCM Student Chapter is the first student organization in the master’s programs in Industrial Management and Technology at the School of Technology. It was formally approved by the American Society for Quality (ASQ) headquarters on April 28, 2009 and under sponsorship of the ASQ Section 1301 Kansas City Chapter. The master's programs in Industrial Management and Technology were also the first master’s programs accredited by the Association of Technology, Management, and Applied Sciences (ATMAE) in November 2008. The master's degree programs promote activities for the development of professional skills in students. It also encourages students to practice skills in leadership, management, teamwork, and quality. Please select a link below to learn more about our student chapter.
To join ASQ, click the ASQ logo. Click on the tab "Join ASQ" on the top right. Select "Student Member" and click 'continue' at the bottom. Please complete the sections for your information and email address. Please note that Section 1301 Kansas City is our section sponsor. If you have any questions, please contact Dr. Sue Rodchua. If you are already an ASQ member, please let us know so that we can include your name in the UCM-ASQ Student Chapter.