Open Calendar


Click to print this page


FERPA stands for the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974. It is also known as the Buckley Amendment. FERPA, as amended, sets forth requirements regarding the privacy of student education records. FERPA governs the disclosure of education records maintained by an educational institution and access to those records.


FERPA Questions

To whom does FERPA apply?

The Act applies to all institutions that are the recipients of federal aid administered by the Secretary of Education. FERPA applies to postsecondary institutions (colleges and universities) as well as K-12 schools. FERPA applies to all current and former UCM students, regardless of their age or status with regard to parental dependency. This includes students enrolled as dual-credit high school students and those enrolled as continuing education and non-degree seeking students. 

When do FERPA rights begin for a student at UCM?

UCM students are covered under FERPA upon first enrollment in courses.

What are student rights under FERPA?

FERPA provides eligible students the right to:

  • inspect and review their education records within 45 days of the receipt of the request (some limitations apply)
  • request to amend their education records that the student believes are inaccurate or misleading and to request a hearing if the request to amend is not granted
  • have some control over the release of information from their educational records
  • obtain a copy of the institution’s FERPA compliance policy
  • file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education 

The intent of the legislation is to protect the rights of students and to ensure the privacy and accuracy of education records.

What is “Disclosure” as defined by FERPA?

To permit access to, release, transfer or allow any other type of communication of personally identifiable information contained in education records to any party by any means; including oral, written, or electronic communication.

Who may have access to student information?

  • The student and any third party designated with the student’s written request.
  • School officials (as defined by the University) who have “legitimate educational interests”.
  • A person in response to a lawfully issued subpoena or court order, as long as the University makes a reasonable attempt to notify the student first.

What is an “Educational Record” as defined by FERPA?

With certain exceptions (noted below), an education record is any record (1) which contains information that is personally identifiable to a student, and (2) is maintained by the university. With the exception of information about other students, financial records of parents and confidential letters of reference to which the student has waived access, a student has the right of access to his or her education records.

Education records include any records in whatever medium (handwritten, print, e-mail, magnetic tape, film, diskette, etc.) that are in the possession of any school official. This includes transcripts or other records obtained from a school in which a student was previously enrolled.

What information is NOT considered part of an “Education Record”?

  • Sole possession records (memory-jogging records) or private notes held by school officials that are not accessible or released to other personnel
  • Law enforcement or campus security records that are solely for law enforcement purposes and maintained solely by the law enforcement unit
  • Records relating to individuals who are employed by the institution (unless contingent upon attendance)
  • Records relating to treatment provided by a physician, psychiatrist, psychologist or other recognized professional or paraprofessional and disclosed only to individuals providing treatment
  • Records of an institution that contain only information about an individual obtained after that person is no longer a student at that institution (alumni records)

Who is a “School Official” as defined by FERPA?

A school official may be: an employee of a college (administrative, supervisory, academic, research, support or student staff); a person elected to the Board of Governors; a company or person employed/contracted by a college to perform a special task (i.e., attorney, auditor, or collection agency); a person or student serving on an official committee (i.e., disciplinary/grievance, scholarship) or assisting an official in his/her tasks.

Where can I learn more about FERPA?

Read UCM’s detailed guidelines, “Policy Implementing the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act at the University of Central Missouri”, to learn more about how FERPA is handled at UCM. Copies of this document may also be obtained in the Registrar’s Office in Ward Edwards, suite 1000.

UCM's Annual Notification of Rights under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

Visit the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers webpage.

Visit the U.S. Department of Education's FERPA webpage.

Directory Information

Directory information is not generally considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if disclosed. The University does not sell student directory information; however, unless a student requests in writing to the contrary, federal law permits the University to release the following directory information to the public without the student's consent:

  • Name
  • Mailing and physical addresses
  • Telephone numbers
  • Email addresses
  • Date and place of birth
  • County, state, or US territory from which the student originally enrolled
  • Major field of study
  • Class (junior, senior, etc.) (but not particular number of hours earned)
  • Enrollment status (full-time, part-time, etc.) (but not particular number of hours enrolled in)
  • Participation in officially recognized activities and sports
  • Weight and height of members of athletic teams
  • Dates of attendance and anticipated date of graduation
  • Degrees and awards received
  • The most recent previous educational agency or institution attended by the student
  • Student photo or image (for university use only)
  • Honors information (graduation with honors, not GPA or grades or Honors College membership)

Directory Information Questions

How can I make my directory information private at UCM?

Directory information may be shared, unless steps are taken to restrict that information. Students who wish to suppress public access to their directory information can do so by contacting the Office of the Registrar in the Ward Edwards Building, Room 1000 (660-543-4900 or

If directory suppression is chosen, no information will be released about a student to third parties without their signature. Any requests for such information from UCM will be refused. This includes, but is not limited to: prospective employers; the printed commencement program; submissions to hometown newspapers regarding Dean’s List designation or graduation announcements; requested lists of students for consideration for scholarships, memberships, etc.

This also means that the student will not be able to call and receive their own information over the phone. Information about a student’s account will only be released to them in person, via their UCM e-mail account, or with a signed release.

This request will be honored until the Office of the Registrar receives written authorization from the student to revoke this request, even if no longer enrolled at UCM.

Please note: the law allows the university to release directory information, even if a suppression of records is on file with the university, under certain circumstances. Examples include a health or safety emergency or with a lawful subpoena or court order.

What is and how can I get on the State of Missouri 'No Call' list?

The No Call list is a list of residential telephone numbers of Missourians who have indicated to the Attorney General's Office that they don't want to be called by telemarketers at home. The law prohibits telemarketers from calling households that have been added to the list, with some exceptions that have been written into the law. You can register all your home phone numbers.

You may register by electronically submitting a form or by calling toll-free 1-866-NOCALL1 (1-866-662-2551). There is no cost to consumers to get on the list. There will be a cost to telemarketers to get copies of the list.

What is and how can I get on the Federal 'No Call' list?

The National Do Not Call Registry gives you a choice about whether to receive telemarketing calls at home. Most telemarketers should not call your number once it has been on the registry for 31 days. If they do, you can file a complaint at this website. You can register your home or mobile phone for free. Click here to register.

Non-Directory Information

With the exception of some specific instances (described below), non-directory information and educational records cannot be released without prior, written consent from the student.

Some examples of non-directory information include, but are not limited to:

• Student identification numbers (700 number)
• Social Security numbers
• Ethnicity/race/nationality
• Gender
• Religious affiliation
• Parent name and address
• Grades (student progress reports or final grades, grades on assignments/tests)
• Grade point averages (GPA - cumulative, UCM, major, minor)
• Class attendance records
• Course schedules (including classes enrolled in, number of credit hours enrolled in)
• Central Degree Audit
• Academic Transcript
• Employment that is related to the student’s status as a student

Students who wish to give consent for the release of their academic information may fill out an Authorization for Release of Educational Records form and turn it into the Office of the Registrar in the Ward Edwards building, room 1000 (660-543-4900). The form may also be faxed to 660-543-8400 or e-mailed to

 Non-Directory Information Questions

When is the student’s consent NOT required to disclose academic information?

When the disclosure is (one or more of the following):

  • To school officials who have a legitimate educational interest
  • To federal, state and local authorities involving an audit or evaluation of compliance with educational programs
  • In connection with financial aid; this includes Veterans’ benefits
  • To officials of another school where a student seeks or intends to enroll
  • To organizations conducting studies for or on behalf of the institution
  • To accrediting organizations
  • To comply with a judicial order or subpoena
  • In a health or safety emergency
  • Releasing directory information (unless the student has a block on this information)
  • Releasing the results of a disciplinary hearing to an alleged victim of a crime of violence.

How does a student authorize release of his/her education record in the form of an academic transcript?

Students must sign a Transcript Request form or place a transcript order in MyCentral.

UCM sends official transcripts via paper mail, fax, and email. Transcripts are $10 per copy. Transcripts cannot be faxed outside of the United States.  Faxed and emailed transcripts may not be considered official – please check first with the receiving institution before placing a transcript order.  Requests for pdf transcripts may be made by fax, mail, e-mail, or in person.  Unfortunately, our online ordering system does not accommodate requests for pdf transcripts. 

See our instructions for ordering transcripts for more information.  If you are placing your order by mail, fax, or e-mail please use our pdf request form. Online orders in MyCentral can be accepted for students who attended UCM 1982 or later. 



  • facebook
  • twitter
  • youtube
  • linkedin
  • instagram