Open Calendar


Click to print this page

Graduate Academic Standing


A graduate students’ academic standing is based on his/her cumulative GPA. For graduate students the cumulative and UCM GPAs are always identical because any transfer work accepted does not include grades. Students must maintain a minimum 3.00 cumulative GPA to be considered in good academic standing.  

Students can find their academic standing by logging into MyCentral under the Student Profile. The unofficial academic transcript (available in MyCentral) also shows current and past academic standings.  

Questions about academic standing can be directed to the Office of the Registrar and Student Records or your faculty advisor.  

How will I be notified of my academic standing? 

If you remain in good academic standing, you are not contacted by the university. You may check your academic standing at any time in MyCentral and on your unofficial transcript. 

If you are placed or continued on probation or become “graduate ineligible” you will be contacted by the University after final grades are available. You will receive an email to your UCM email account. This email will be sent from the Registrar’s Office. A paper letter will not be sent to inform you of your academic standing. 

 Graduate Academic Standing

Good Academic Standing

For graduate students, the cumulative and UCM grade point averages will always be the same. 

Graduate students who have a cumulative /UCM GPA of at least a 3.00 are considered to be in good academic standing. A minimum of a 3.00 is required to qualify for graduation. 

In addition to maintaining a minimum 3.00 GPA, graduate students must receive a grade of C or higher in each course required in their degree or certificate program. No more than six semester hours of credit with a grade of C will be applied toward degree requirements. 

Placed on Academic Probation

A student whose cumulative GPA drops below 3.00 will be placed on academic probation. Students placed on academic probation may continue to enroll in classes. Students are encouraged to seek advice from their faculty advisor about future enrollments. 

Continued on Academic Probation

Students who are placed on probation and do not increase their GPA to a 3.00 after the first semester on probation are continued for a second semester on probation. Students must raise their GPA to a 3.00 or higher at the end of the third semester on probation or they will become “graduate ineligible.” 

Removal from Probation

A student placed on academic probation will continue on probation until the cumulative GPA is 3.00 or higher. When a student on academic probation raises his/her cumulative GPA to 3.00 or above, the student is removed from probation. Transfer credit may not be used to raise the GPA as transfer grades are not posted for graduate students. 

Graduate Ineligible Status

Students who have been on academic probation for three consecutive semesters will become ineligible to receive a graduate degree or certificate from UCM and will be removed from their degree/certificate program. Domestic students may continue to take classes, but these classes may not count towards a future graduate degree or certificate. International students may not attend the university if they are in graduate ineligible status. 

Reinstatement to a Degree/Certificate Program

Students who are in graduate ineligible status and then raise their GPA to a 3.00 or higher may petition the Graduate Studies office to be reinstated to their degree/certificate program. 


  • facebook
  • twitter
  • youtube
  • linkedin
  • instagram