Open Calendar


Click to print this page

University Housing - Frequently Asked Questions


Below are University Housing FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions).  Please feel free to reach out to our office staff or hall staff if you have any questions regarding residence halls, apartments, or life on campus!

Top Questions:

Do I have to live on campus?

All first- and second-year students are required to live on campus as part of the Board of Governors policy. If you meet the criteria for exemption you may find that form here to fill in.  

What is the apartment application process?

Current students who meet apartment eligibility and wish to apply for any current apartment availability/waitlist can do so via MyCentral. The apartment application is located under the housing section in the Student Records and Registration menu.

Visit our Apartment Living page to view requirements to live within our various apartments on campus as well as the important dates!

What is included in my residence hall?

Each room is furnished with two extra-long twin beds, one dresser, two desks, two chairs, trash can, cable service, wireless internet, all utilities (gas, water, electricity, trash, & sewer).

*For 2020-2021 and beyond, rooms in Nattinger-Bradshaw are expected to have one twin extra-long bed, one desk, one chair, one dresser, trash can, cable service, wireless internet, and all utilities (gas, water, electricity, trash, & sewer) .

All other buildings on campus will have 2 beds, 2 desks, and 2 chairs.

Check out our dimensions and Amenities Information

Can I bring my car to campus? Where should I park?

Students are allowed to bring cars to campus.  Students must park in designated lots for students.  Parking maps and information on parking permits can be obtained by visiting Parking Services webpage or visiting their office (located in same building as Public Safety).

What are the benefits of living on campus?

Students will have access to on-campus resources, high speed internet and dining options. Further, Community Advisors will be present in all communities and will plan fun and interactive programming, abiding by social distancing protocols. Residents will be provided an engaging learning environment to complement their classroom experience.

How has COVID-19 affected living on campus for Fall 2020?

All residence halls will be moving to single-occupancy rooms beginning Fall 2020.


Click here to view the latest University update

Agreements and Billing:

How do I apply for housing?

First year students must submit their housing agreement via MyCentral.

A $50 deposit is due at the time of the agreement (for 2020-2021).  Credit/debit cards may be used if agreement is submitted via MyCentral.  Checks/money order/cash is accepted for agreements sent via mail.

You may download the Fall 2020-Spring 2021 Residence Hall Agreement here.

How do I cancel my housing contract and/or meal plan?

Please complete the Housing/Meal Plan Cancellation Form found here.

Is my housing deposit refundable?

A $50 security deposit ($25 refundable) is required to accompany all applications for UCM residence halls and will be retained by UCM for so long as the student resides in any UCM residence hall.

Unless the deposit is forfeited under any of the terms of this agreement, the $25 refundable portion, less any assessment for damages, or outstanding University charges, will be refunded to the student following termination of the residence hall agreement by the student and inspection of the premises and property by representatives of the University.

The student agrees to be responsible for any cost of defacement or damage to the room or rooms, common areas and all University furnishings or property that are damaged or destroyed during the term.

What happens if I cancel my housing contract?

Please view section 8 of the Terms of Agreement for the Residence Hall Agreement.

Residence Hall Agreement

Move-in Day:

When can I move in?

View our Move-In page located under Residence Hall Living OR our Important Dates on the main page:

What should I expect? Do people help me move in?

Volunteers will be present (Subject to change for Fall 2020), but their role is to help get items from vehicles to the curb/sidewalk so students and families can move cars to the parking lot.  This helps the process be easier and efficient for all UCM families.  Please view your hall page to see if your building has an elevator.  Most of our buildings do not so you may want to consider a handcart for getting items upstairs.

What should I bring?

Your room will be your home for several months, so you will want it to be as comfortable as possible. Please see our Residence Hall Packing List for a full suggested packing list.

Can I build a loft?

Due to safety reasons, students may not build their own lofts. Instead, students may rent lofts from a UCM approved company named College Products. If you would like to put your bed on a loft, please visit our table during orientation for an order form or visit our Housing Services page. If you choose to not to put your bed on a loft, you will have 3-4 feet of space under the bed if the bed is raised to the maximum height.  This allows storage for most bins, smaller refrigerators, etc.

College Products Website

UCM utilizes the "Patented Loft Kit" which is the Basic Loft Kit rental. 

Living on Campus:

Where is my residence hall located?

The Warrensburg Campus Map provides an interactive guide to where you are living as well as other amenities on campus.

Campus Map

What network and cable services does UCM provide?

Our halls currently provide internet through ethernet or wireless connection.  Please refer to our move-in page under Residence Hall Living for specifications for TVs.  Personal wireless routers, hot-spots, and wireless printers are not permitted for use due to network interruption. 

What are the residence hall policies?

For specific housing policies, please review the UCM Housing Policy Guide.

All other policies and expectations can be found in the UCM Student Handbook.

Students are expected to be aware of, and follow, all policies.

What if I lose my key or get locked out?

If you lose your room key:

 All lost keys should be reported to your front desk. The lock to your door(s) will be recored at YOUR expense.

The cost of this expense will be $85

If you lose your mailbox key:

All lost keys should be reported to your front desk.

Cost of a new mailbox key will be $5.75.

If you are locked out:

Report to the front desk to request a lockout.

You will need to wait for available staff to assist.
(Wait time will vary based upon the time the lockout is reported).

Students will only Receive 2 free lockouts for the academic year. Charges will occur after the 2nd lockout.

Prices will increase with each additional lockout - up to $25/lockout.

What if I need something repaired in my room?

There are a variety of ways to submit work orders to allow for optimal convenience for residents. Non-emergency work orders can be submitted 24 hours a day online via your MyCentral account.  Students can also call Facilities, Planning and Operations directly at 660-543-4331. You can also check the status of your work request by calling this number.

Another way to submit work orders is to contact the front desk of your building or the CA. The CA will then contact the on-call staff member to respond to the situation.

For an emergency repair request after regular business hours, contacting the front desk or hall staff is the best approach.
When submitting a work order, you will need to provide your name, email, phone number, building and room number, and a detailed description of the issue being reported.

Learn How to Submit a Work Order

Are halls open during breaks?

Most of the residence halls close during Fall break (the week of Thanksgiving), Fall semester break (after the Fall semester), Spring break, and Summer break.

Residence halls that are CLOSED during all breaks:
Ellis, UCC, and Panhellenic

Residence halls that are OPEN during all breaks:
South Yeater, Fitzgerald, Nattinger-Bradshaw, Houts-Hosey, and Nickerson

Apartments that are open year round:
Central Village, Greenwood Park, Foster/Knox, Todd Apartments, Nickerson Apartments, and The Crossing

Special Interest Housing Programs (SHIPs):

What is a SHIP?

University Housing provides a living environment designed to enhance your learning experience at UCM.

UCM originated the Special Housing Interest Program (SHIP) to supplement your experience outside the classroom. We know from our experience that the first-year transition to college and to the courses of your program can be a challenge.  We also know that students who live on the SHIP tend to do better academically, persist in their program, and have a greater satisfaction with their living and university experience.

What are the benefits to living in a SHIP?

The social and educational interactions at the heart of our SHIPs provide many benefits including:

  • Better grades
  • Easier adjustment to college life
  • Friends
  • Greater learning experiences
  • Greater satisfaction
  • Increased likelihood you’ll stay in school
  • Programs/activities centered around your interests

What SHIPs are available on campus?

The following SHIPs are available to first-year students:

  • Art and Design
  • Aviation
  • Criminal Justice
  • Education
  • Honors
  • Music
  • Nursing
  • Safe and Inclusive Living (SAIL)
  • STEM
  • Theatre


How can I sign up to live in a SHIP?

To apply to live in a SHIP, please include the particular SHIP you are interested in as one of your choices on the Residential Housing Agreement.

Housing assignments are made in the order they are received, so the earlier you apply the better.

Space is limited on SHIPs, so we recommend turning in your Housing Agreement early to guarantee your spot.

What are the requirements to living in a SHIP?

For more information about SHIP requirements, please visit our SHIP webpage.

What if I change my major to something unrelated to the SHIP I am living in?

If you are living in a SHIP with major requirements, you will typically be allowed to finish the year in that community. You do have the option to request to move from that location if you desire.
(Please see the “Can I change my room and/or roommate?” panel under the “Roommates” section).


Where am I living and who is my roommate?

Room assignments and roommate information will be available on your MyCentral no later than the last week of June for the Fall semester. New students starting in the Spring semester will be able to view their assignment on MyCentral just before the holidays in December.

How do I sign up for housing if I have a roommate in mind?

Students with roommate preferences should submit their request no later than JUNE 1.

Preference requests are made via the Housing Assignment Gateway under the housing section of MyCentral. The preferences must be a mutual request to be considered.

Effort will be made to honor the request although there is no guarantee of a match.

Can I change my room and/or roommate?

Students who wish to change rooms/roommates will have the opportunity to do so within the first 2 weeks of the academic term. Instructions for this process will be sent to students via email from University Housing within the 2-week period.

Students who wish to change rooms after this period will need to schedule a meeting with their Residence Hall Director (RHD) for their area.

Meeting with the RHD does not guarantee that you will be moved from your current room placement.

Find my RHD

What should I do if I am having problems living with my roommate?

If you are having issues in your room/suite, the first person you should contact is your Community Advisor (CA) or Apartment Community Assistant (ACA).

Your CA/ACA has been trained to deal with a variety of issues you may face on campus. They are prepared to confront any inappropriate behavior to help the community be an orderly place to live and study.


What dining options are available on campus?

There are a wide variety of on-campus dining options for students. All dining options listed accept Dining Dollars featured in the student’s selected meal plan.

Retail Dining:

  • Chick-Fil-A
  • Einstein Bros Bagels
  • Starbucks
  • CRU5H
  • Southern Tsunami
  • SubConnection
  • SPIN! Pizza
  • Taco Bell
  • Traditions at Pertle Springs
  • Central Courte

Dining Centers:

  • Ellis Dining Center
  • Westside Market in Todd Hall
A map of all available on-campus dining options, as well as hours of operation, can be found here.

What meal plan options are available to me?

To view available meal plans, please visit our Dining Services webpage.


  • facebook
  • twitter
  • youtube
  • linkedin
  • instagram