Click to print this page

University Housing - Frequently Asked Questions


Below are University Housing FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions).  Please feel free to reach out to our office staff or hall staff if you have any questions regarding residence halls, apartments, or life on campus!

University Housing FAQs

What is included with my residence hall room?

The room is furnished with:

  • two extra-long twin beds
  • one dresser
  • two desks
  • two chairs
  • trash can
  • cable service
  • wireless internet
  • all utilities (gas, water, electricity, trash, & sewer)

Students are encouraged to secure personal property insurance if not covered by family homeowner insurance.

When will I find out where I will live and who my roommate will be?

Room assignments and roommate information will be available on your MyCentral no later than the last week of June for the Fall semester.

New students starting in the Spring semester will be mailed their assignment just before the holidays in December.

Links about meal plans, refrigerator rental, loft rental, carpet, linen purchases and other information will be posted on the housing website, so make sure you check it regularly.

What should I bring?

Your room will be your home for several months, so you will want it to be as comfortable as possible. Some suggested items are:

  • bed linens/pillow (all of our residence halls require extra-long twin sheets)
  • posters, pictures and other items to make your space feel like home
  • laundry and cleaning supplies
  • desk lamp and supplies
  • rugs and/or carpet
  • DVDs and CDs
  • clothes, towels and toiletries
  • radio, alarm clock and power strips

See our suggested packing list HERE

Items prohibited and to be LEFT AT HOME INCLUDE:

  • Toaster ovens
  • Space heaters
  • Hot plates
  • Candles/incense (no burnt wicks allowed, but battery operated candles are allowed)
  • Hoverboards
  • Halogen lamps
  • Weapons including but not limited to all forms of firearms, any mechanical or gas operated mechanism that propels a projectile, ammunition, fireworks, knives with blades that are more than four (4) inches in length, throwing stars, swords, and related items. 

What cooking appliances may I have in my room?

In regards to residence halls (non-apartments), the only approved cooking appliances are microwaves, coffee pots, toasters, and crock pots/slow cookers.

Other cooking appliances such as grill,s toaster ovens, and others are not allowed to be used in student rooms.  


*This applies to students living in residence hall rooms, not apartments that include a full kitchen.

Can I build a loft?

Due to safety reasons, students may not build their own lofts. Instead, students may rent lofts from a UCM approved company named College Products. These lofts create additional living space and provide:

  • Easy assembly in five minutes
  • Durable steel construction
  • University supplied bed frame and mattress (mattresses are 6" x 36" x 80")
  • Delivery to campus and pick up at end of year

If you would like to put your bed on a loft, please visit our table during orientation for an order form or visit our Housing Services page.

If you choose to not to put your bed on a loft, you will have 3-4 feet of space under the bed if the bed is raised to the maximum height.  This allows storage for most bins, smaller refrigerators, etc.

What are the residence hall policies?

Please review the Student Handbook for all policies.

Students are expected to be aware of and follow policies at all times.

Can I change my room and/or roommate?

Room change requests are typically accepted three weeks after move-in.  At this time, you may request a move to an available space. If a first-year student would like a single room, they will be allowed to request a single room after the halls open and pending space availability.

Room changes cannot be made without prior permission from the Office of University Housing.  Please check the Important Dates listing on the University Housing and Dining Services homepage for more information.

What if I lose my key or get locked out?

If you lose your key, immediately report it to your CA. The minimum charge for a lock re-core in all halls is $90, or the cost of repairs. There is a $10 charge for losing a mailbox key.

If you get locked out of your room, report it to your front desk and they will contact a CA to let you in your room. Students will receive three free lock-outs, then there will be a $5 fine for each additional lock-out.

What if I need something repaired in my room?

There are a variety of ways to submit work orders to allow for optimal convenience for residents. Non-emergency work orders can be submitted 24 hours a day online via your MyCentral account.  Students can also call Facilities, Planning and Operations directly at 660-543-4331. You can also check the status of your work request by calling this number.

Another way to submit work orders is to contact the front desk of your building or the CA. The CA will then contact the on-call staff member to respond to the situation.

For an emergency repair request after regular business hours, contacting the front desk or hall staff is the best approach.

When submitting a work order, you will need to provide your:

  • Name and Email
  • Phone number
  • Building and room number
  • Detailed description and location of the issue being reported

View our guide to submitting a work order HERE

Are the halls open during break?

Most of the residence halls close during Fall break (the week of Thanksgiving), Fall semester break (after the Fall semester), Spring break and Summer break. Nickerson, Houts/Hosey, Fitzgerald, Nattinger/Bradshaw, South Yeater and South Todd halls are open during all of the breaks except for Summer break. Foster/Knox, Central Village, Greenwood Park, and The Crossing are open all year long.


  • facebook
  • twitter
  • youtube
  • linkedin
  • instagram