Skip to Main Navigation | Skip to Content

UCM Study Abroad 101

Study Abroad
Grant funding available to every student.

Faculty and Scholar Services

Faculty and Scholar Services

Sponsored Student Program

Sponsored Student Program

UCM English Language Institute

English Language Institute

UCM Student Employment

On-Campus Employment


F-1 and J-1 students are eligible to work on-campus while attending classes. The work does not need to be related to your field of study. You must maintain legal F-1 or J-1 status while engaging in on-campus employment.


  • Earn $$
  • Can list work experience on your resume.
  • Meet new people and make friends.
  • Develop communication skills and various other skills.
  • Develop time management skills.
  • Good resource to obtain contacts for recommendation letters and personal references for future employment or education.
  • Experience the American work culture.

Definition of On-Campus Employment

  • On-campus employment includes work done as a graduate assistant as well as jobs in the JCKL library, UCM dining facilities, Elliott Student Union, Student Recreation and Wellness Center and administrative offices.
  • On-campus also includes employment with on-location commercial firms which provide services for students on campus, such as stores or restaurants located in a University owned building.


  • You must be enrolled in a full course of study during academic year.
  • You may not work more than 20-hours per week on-campus during academic year.
  • You may work full-time on-campus during vacation periods.
  • You may not engage in 'on-campus employment' after completing requirements for your degree.
  • You are not eligible for the UCM work-study program. Under the work-study program, a percentage of a student's earnings is paid through U.S federal or state funds, and the remainder is paid by the student's employer.

Tips for Getting a Job

  • Don't be afraid to ask for what you want.
  • Be confident.
  • Practice answering questions employers might ask.
  • Dress professionally.

Where to Look for On-Campus Jobs

After getting a job

Social Security: A social security card is only necessary for students seeking employment on campus.You may apply for a social security number after you have acquired a job by following these steps:

  • Obtain a letter from the employer indicating the terms of employment and email it to
  • Complete the Social Security Letter Request form available on the Forms Webpage.
  • Pick up the letter prepared by Graduate and International Student Services for you to take with the employer letter and your immigration documents to the Social Security Office to apply for the Social Security number.
  • Receive Social Security card at your home address used ont he application and take the number to your employer.

International Students

The Career Services Center at UCM works hard to provide a variety of services for our international students. This website contains important information that will help you in your job search whether you plan to stay in the United States, go back to your home country, or relocate somewhere else internationally. We hope this is information is comprehensive and useful for you at all stages of your studies and life at the UCM. Please feel free to contact us with questions, concerns, or suggestions for improvement to this site.


GoinGlobal is an unlimited access subscription database which contains Country Career Guides, corporate profiles and more than 80,000 pages of constantly updated career and employment resources for over 30 countries. Their newest collection - the USA City Career features career and employment resources for 41 metro areas, plus H1B employer listings for all 50 states.

You can access GoinGlobal through your MyCentral account under the Student Services tab.

Seek out organizations that have hired international students in the past. The information below provides valuable information regarding which companies tend to hire international students.

Foreign Labor Certification Disclosure Data:


Log-in to access your global education program.

Apply now for the Generation Study Abroad Scholarship, click here to learn more!

Application priority deadlines:

Summer 2019 programs: February 20th
Fall 2019 programs:February 20th

Spring 2019 programs: September 20th




Study Abroad 101

Mondays: 4-5 p.m.

Wednesdays: 4-5 p.m.

Union 302

Conversation Partner Hour

Will resume in August

Thursdays 3:30-5:00 p.m.
The Center for Multiculturalism and Inclusivity Lounge, 3rd floor of the Elliott Student Union.

Connect with

UCM Study Abroad