Skip to Main Navigation | Skip to Content

Gain a Worldly Perspective at UCM

Gain a WORLDLY PERSPECTIVE. Experience learning to a greater degree.

Learn about life in Warrensburg and at UCM

How warm does it get? How big is Warrensburg? How many students are at UCM?
Discover more about life at UCM.

Learn from faculty from around the world
UCM athletes from across the globe
Anna Robb - Study Abroad Testimonial


On-Campus Employment


F-1 and J-1 students are eligible to work on-campus while attending classes. The work does not need to be related to your field of study. You must maintain legal F-1 or J-1 status while engaging in on-campus employment.


  • Earn $$
  • Can list work experience on your resume.
  • Meet new people and make friends.
  • Develop communication skills and various other skills.
  • Develop time management skills.
  • Good resource to obtain contacts for recommendation letters and personal references for future employment or education.
  • Experience the American work culture.

Definition of On-Campus Employment

  • On-campus employment includes work done as a graduate assistant as well as jobs in the JCKL library, UCM dining facilities, Elliott Student Union, Student Recreation and Wellness Center and administrative offices.
  • On-campus also includes employment with on-location commercial firms which provide services for students on campus, such as stores or restaurants located in a University owned building.


  • You must be enrolled in a full course of study during academic year.
  • You may not work more than 20-hours per week on-campus during academic year.
  • You may work full-time on-campus during vacation periods.
  • You may not engage in 'on-campus employment' after completing requirements for your degree.
  • You are not eligible for the UCM work-study program. Under the work-study program, a percentage of a student's earnings is paid through U.S federal or state funds, and the remainder is paid by the student's employer.

Tips for Getting a Job

  • Don't be afraid to ask for what you want.
  • Be confident.
  • Practice answering questions employers might ask.
  • Dress professionally.

Where to Look for On-Campus Jobs

After getting a job

Social Security: A social security card is only necessary for students seeking employment on campus.You may apply for a social security number after you have acquired a job by following these steps:

  • Obtain a letter from the employer indicating the terms of employment and email it to
  • Complete the Social Security Letter Request form available on the Forms Webpage.
  • Pick up the letter prepared by Graduate and International Student Services for you to take with the employer letter and your immigration documents to the Social Security Office to apply for the Social Security number.
  • Receive Social Security card at your home address used ont he application and take the number to your employer.